The winners of the 2017 Product of the Year Awards, said to be the world's largest consumer-voted award for product innovation, were announced on February 9, with 10 food products included among the 28 winners.
A national representative survey of 40,000 consumers conducted by Kantar TNS, a consumer research, helps determine the Product of the Year winners. This year’s food industry winners were:
- Sugar confections: Werther's Original Soft Caramels
- Chocolate: Russell Stover Pecan Delight
- Salty snacks: SimplyNature Organic White Cheddar Puffs
- Healthy snacks: Del Monte Fruit Refreshers
- Specialty bread: Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Bread
- Dessert: Inspired by Happiness Cravin' for Cookies & Cream Layered Cake
- Sweetener: Splenda Naturals Sweetener
- Beverage: Tetley Super Tea
- Wine: Broken Clouds Pinot Noir
- Spirits: Smirnoff Red, White & Berry
"Competition is fierce among consumer brands, with thousands of new products introduced to the market each year," said Mike Nolan, CEO, Product of the Year USA. "This year's winners will have a true advantage over competitors as they are able to utilize the distinctive red Product of the Year logo on packaging and in brand advertising to show shoppers that 40,000 consumers recommend their product against the competition."
In its 30th year, Product of the Year operates in 38 countries with the goal of guiding consumers to the best products in their market while rewarding manufacturers for quality and innovation.
Each year, Product of the Year takes entries from new consumer products launched within the previous year that demonstrate innovation within their industry. Product nominations are then placed into categories such as beauty, personal care, household essentials, food and beverages, and are assessed on seven key measures. One product is then named the winner of each category, based on the results of the consumer survey.
For more information visit Product of the Year.